1 The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
2 Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
3 They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.[a]
4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world. -Psalm 19:1-4
I’m currently teaching my 4th grader about our vast universe in her science class. It is fascinating! I don’t know if it ever gets old to hear these facts about our universe:
- Our moon is 240,000 miles from Earth.
- It would take us 4 years traveling at the speed of light to visit one of the closest stars in our Galaxy.
- To reach the edge of our Galaxy, at the speed of light, it would take us 120,000 years.
- The sun is 93,000,000 miles from Earth.
- Any closer to the sun and we would burn up. Any further away from the sun and we would freeze.
- The Earth rotates once on its axis every 24 hours. The sun rotates once on its axis every 25 days.
- The sun circles the Milky Way Galaxy once every 250,000,000 years even though it travels at 43,000mph.
- The diameter of the sun is 865,000 miles – that’s 190 times greater than the diameter of Earth.
- Astronomers calculate that there are more than 30,000,000,000 stars in our Galaxy. We only see 3000-5000 stars on a really clear night.
- Astronomers also estimate that there is an infinite number of Galaxies beyond our Galaxy.
“16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.”-Colossians 1:16-17, KJV [emphasis mine]
And to think…
~God named all the trillions of stars… and He knows my name.
~God created the infinite number of Galaxies… and yet He formed me in my mother’s womb.
~God holds the entire universe in His hand… and He carved my name into His palm.
~God placed the stars in the sky… and He carries my tears in a bottle and keeps every prayer I pray.
~God stepped through the far outreaches of the galaxies… and became a baby.
~God Himself lived among His creation… and allowed His creation to nail His Son to a cross.
“3When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.” -Psalm 8:3-5, KJV [emphasis mine]
“6 But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears…13 The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded… 16 He reached down from heaven and rescued me;…19 He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me…” -Psalm 18:6, 13, 16a, 19 [emphasis mine]
Be overwhelmed. Feel loved.